Photo credit: britishlarder.co.uk
“Death cannot stop true love. All it can do is delay it for a while.” –William Goldman, The Princess Bride
A recipe for a simple homemade white cake. It’s easy to make and it tastes wonderful.
- 1 cup white sugar
- ½ cup butter
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 ¾ teaqspoons baking powder
- ½ cup milk
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour a 9×9 inch pan or line a muffin pan with paper liners.
In a medium bowl, cream together the sugar and butter. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, then stir in the vanilla. Combine flour and baking powder, add to the creamed mixture and mix well. Finally stir in the milk until batter is smooth. Pour or spoon batter into the prepared pan.
Bake for 30 to 40 minutes in the preheated oven. For cupcakes, bake 20 to 25 minutes. Cake is done when it springs back to the touch. This makes a small cake. Double it if you want to make a layered cake.
The best place to be when you’re sad is Grandpa’s lap. ~Author Unknown
Soak 1 cup of bread crumbs in 1/3 cup milk
1/4 cup minced onion, 1 lb ground beef, 1 slightly beaten egg, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, 1/8 teaspoon pepper, 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg. Mix together thoroughly and shape to form 1-inch balls. Saute in 1 tablespoon butter until lightly browned. Remove balls and add 2 teaspoons flour to drippings and blend. Add 1 cup hot water, 1 beef bouillon cube and 1/2 cup milk and 1/2 cup sour cream. Cook and stir over medium heat until sauce is smooth and thick. Add meatballs, cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Serves 6.
“Rest and be thankful.” –William Wordsworth
- 30 slices white bread, lightly toasted
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons rubbed sage
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
Allow the toasted bread to sit approximately 24 hours, until hard.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Lightly grease a 9×13 inch baking dish.
- Crush the bread into crumbs with a rolling pin. Place the crumbs in a large bowl.
- Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the onion and celery and slowly cook until soft. Remove from heat and drain.
- Mix the eggs and chicken broth into the bread crumbs. The mixture should be moist, but not mushy. Use water, if necessary, to attain desired consistency. Mix in the onion, celery, rubbed sage, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- Press the mixture into the baking dish. Bake 1 hour in the preheated oven, or until the top is brown and crisp.
Either you run the day, or the day runs you. –Jim Rohn
- 6 lemons
- 1 cup white sugar
- 6 cups cold water
Juice the lemons to make 1 cup of juice. To make your labor easier, firmly roll the lemons between your hand and counter top before cutting in half and juicing. In a gallon pitcher combine 1 cup lemon juice, 1 cup sugar, and 6 cups cold water. Stir. Adjust water to taste. Chill and serve over ice.
This second recipe below is for Best Lemonade Ever from Allrecipes.com.
This requires some cooking:
- 1 3/4 cups white sugar
- 8 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups lemon juice
In a small saucepan, combine sugar and 1 cup water. Bring to boil and stir to dissolve sugar. Allow to cool to room temperature, then cover and refrigerate until chilled. Remove seeds from lemon juice, but leave pulp. In pitcher, stir together chilled syrup, lemon juice and remaining 7 cups water.
“Don’t let life discourage you; everyone who got where he is had to begin where he was.” –Richard L. Evans
- 4 (1 ounce) squares unsweetened chocolate (or see below*)
- 3/4 cup butter
- 2 cups white sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Microwave chocolate and butter or margarine in large bowl at HIGH for 2 minutes or until butter or margarine is melted.
- Stir until chocolate is melted. Stir in sugar. Mix in eggs and vanilla. Stir in flour and nuts.
- Cover the pan with foil, leaving enough at edges to form handles. Grease the foil generously. Bake for 30-35 minutes (do not over bake).
*You can use 12 tbls cocoa powder and 3 tbls vegetable oil instead of the 4 unsweetened chocolate squares.