This recipe comes from the Lion House Cookbook:
Makes 20 servings
½ cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
3 cups diced celery
7 cups diced Fuji apples*
1 cup raisins
3 cups heavy cream
¾ cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
¼ cup sour cream
In a large clean bowl whip the cream using an electric mixer. Gradually add the sugar as the cream whips. Just before the cream reaches the soft peak stage, add the vanilla. Continue whipping until the cream is at the soft peak stage.
Add the sour cream and whip until incorporated. Cover and place the bowl in the refrigerator until ready to toss the salad. Toss the apples, walnuts, celery, and raisins in a bowl. Mix in the whipped cream and serve immediately.
Holiday Salad with Poppy Seed Vinaigrette
This Thanksgiving recipe comes from
The Romney Family Table
1 head romaine lettuce*
1 head green leaf lettuce*
1 cup celery, chopped
1 (11-ounce) can mandarin oranges, drained
2 apples, diced
1/2 cup dried cranberries
10 to 12 small cherry tomatoes, halved
1/2 cup crumbled goat cheese
1/4 cup slivered almonds
1 tablespoon sugar
2 avocados, pared and cut into chunks
1/2 cup sugar
Juice of 1 grated onion (grate and then put through sieve)
1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
1 teaspoon dry mustard
3/4 teaspoon poppy seeds
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup vegetable oil
Wash lettuce, spin dry, and tear into pieces. Combine with celery, mandarin oranges, apples, cranberries, tomatoes, and cheese in a large serving bowl. Toss.
In a 9-inch nonstick skillet, cook almonds with 1 tablespoon sugar over medium heat, stirring constantly, until sugar is dissolved and almonds start to caramelize. Cool.
To make dressing, whisk together all dressing ingredients except vegetable oil. Gradually pour in vegetable oil, whisking to combine. Add almonds and avocados to salad just prior to serving. Toss with dressing.
*May substitute one package mixed greens in place of the romaine lettuce and green leaf lettuce.
LEMON HERB MEDITERRANEAN CHICKEN SALAD
This serves 4 people.
Thanks to Sara for this incredible salad she made for us. The flavors were amazing. I have never had a better salad. Ever. We had it with a fruit salad and some cheddar biscuits.
Recipe and photo source: https://cafedelites.com/2016/07/05/grilled-lemon-herb-mediterranean-chicken-salad-recipe/
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- juice of 1 lemon (1/4 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice)
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- cracked pepper, to taste
- (1 pound | 500 g) 4 skinless, boneless chicken thigh fillets (or chicken breasts)
- 4 cups Romaine lettuce leaves, washed and dried
- 1 large cucumber, diced
- 2 Roma tomatoes, diced
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 1 avocado, sliced
- ⅓ cup pitted Kalamata olives (or black olives), sliced (optional)
- Lemon wedges, to serve
- Whisk together all of the marinade/dressing ingredients in a large jug. Pour out half of the marinade into a large, shallow dish. Refrigerate the remaining marinade to use as the dressing later.
- Add the chicken to the marinade in the bowl; marinade chicken for 15-30 minutes (or up to two hours in the refrigerator if time allows). While waiting for the chicken, prepare all of the salad ingredients and mix in a large salad bowl.
- Once chicken is ready, heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a grill pan or a grill plate over medium-high heat. Grill chicken on both sides until browned and completely cooked through.
- Allow chicken to rest for 5 minutes; slice and arrange over salad. Drizzle salad with the remaining UNTOUCHED dressing. Serve with lemon wedges.
Add ½ cup crumbled feta to give the salad an even better flavour.
“Family is the center of life. It is the key to eternal happiness.” — Elder L. Tom Perry
This delicious salad recipe comes from Allrecipes. Click here for original site.
- 1 cup baby spinach leaves
- 1 tablespoon dried cranberries
- 1 tablespoon chopped salted pecans
- 1/2 apple, cored and diced
- 1 tablespoon diced red onion
- 2 tablespoons grated carrot
- 1/4 avocado, peeled and diced
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinaigrette salad dressing, or to taste
Place spinach, cranberries, pecans, apple, onion, carrot, and avocado into a bowl. Drizzle with balsamic vinaigrette, and toss to coat.
Integrity is doing the right thing, even when no one is watching. — C.S. Lewis
Here is a yummy little recipe adapted from Cooks Country. This recipe serves 8-10 people.
What you will need:
- 2 cups of whole milk
- 2 cups of mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon of brown sugar
- 16 oz package elbow macaroni
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 4 scallions, sliced thin
- 1 large carrot, grated
- 1 celery rib, chopped fine
- Salt and pepper
Whisk together 1 1/2 cups milk, 1 cup mayonnaise, brown sugar, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 2 teaspoons pepper. Refrigerate.
Bring 4 quarts of water to a boil in a large pot. Add pasta and a tablespoon of salt to the water and cook until pasta is soft, about 15 minutes. Drain pasta and return it to the pot.
Add the vinegar to the pasta and toss it until it is all absorbed. Transfer pasta to a bowl and cool it for 10 minutes. This is important because cooling it keeps the vinegar from curdling the dressing.
Stir in the dressing until pasta is well coated. Cool.
Now add your scallions, carrot, celery and the remaining milk and mayonnaise. Stir into pasta until well combined. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Refrigerate pasta, covered, for at least an hour before serving and up to two days at most. Serve and enjoy!
Original recipe source here.
Recipe source, click here
- 1 bag premade coleslaw with carrots
- 8 spring onions, diced
Brown 3 packages sliced almonds in 6 Tblsp white sugar (or less — do not burn!), and mix with 2 packages crumbled Top Ramen noodles.
Blend in blender:
- 4 Tblsp sugar
- ¼ cup sesame seed oil
- ½ cup salad oil
- 1 package Top Ramen chicken flavoring mix
- 6 Tbsp rice wine vinegar
Toss all together just before serving. Add chunks of chilled, cooked chicken breast, if desired.