“Ah, music,” he said, wiping his eyes. “A magic beyond all we do here!” –J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone.
Tangy Honey Glazed Ham
- 1 (10 pound) fully-cooked, bone-in ham
- 1 1/4 cups packed dark brown sugar
- 1/3 cup pineapple juice
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/3 large orange, juiced and zested
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- Add all ingredients to list
Directions – Cook time 2 h 45 m
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Place ham in a roasting pan (use aluminium foil in pan for easy clean-up).
- In a small saucepan, combine brown sugar, pineapple juice, honey, orange juice, orange zest, Dijon mustard, and ground cloves. Whisk together as you bring it to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer for 5 to 10 minutes. Set aside.
- Bake ham in preheated oven uncovered for 2 hours. Remove ham from oven, and brush with glaze. Bake for an additional 30 to 45 minutes, brushing ham with glaze every 10 minutes.
This is my favorite version of the many funeral potato recipes there are. The ingredient ratio just seems perfect:
- 1 28-oz. bag shredded hash brown potatoes, thawed
- 2 c. sour cream
- 1 10-oz. can cream of chicken (or cream of mushroom) soup
- 2 1/4 c. shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 3/4 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- OPTIONAL: Crushed cornflakes, seasoned bread crumbs
Preheat oven to 350. Combine thawed hash browns, sour cream, cream of chicken soup, cheese, salt, and pepper and mix well. Add additional salt and pepper if necessary.
Spread the mixture into a 9×13″ (or similar) dish and bake for 50-60 minutes or until the casserole is hot in the center and the cheese is bubbly throughout. Serve with a salad and fruit or alongside roasted ham, turkey, chicken, or beef.
“If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.” ― J.R.R. Tolkien
- 1 (5 pound) ready-to-eat ham
- 1/4 cup whole cloves
- 1/4 cup dark corn syrup (or brown sugar)
- 2 cups honey
- 2/3 cup butter
You can use a 12 pound ham with the same amount of cloves, brown sugar, honey and butter.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
- Score ham, and stud with the whole cloves. Place ham in foil lined pan.
- In the top half of a double boiler, heat the corn syrup, honey and butter. Keep glaze warm while baking ham.
- Brush glaze over ham, and bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes in the preheated oven. Baste ham every 10 to 15 minutes with the honey glaze. During the last 4 to 5 minutes of baking, turn on broiler to caramelize the glaze. Remove from oven, and let sit a few minutes before serving. –From Allrecipes.
Nice Easter salad from Allrecipes.com.
- 2 bunches spinach, rinsed and torn into bite-size pieces
- 4 cups sliced strawberries
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
In a large bowl, toss together the spinach and strawberries.
In a medium bowl, whisk together the oil, vinegar, sugar, paprika, sesame seeds, and poppy seeds. Pour over the spinach and strawberries, and toss to coat.