It is not that I’m so smart. But I stay with the questions much longer. –Albert Einstein
Recipe/photo credit: LDS Living magazine.
- • 1 (3- to 4-pound) beef chuck roast
- • 1 (12-ounce) can Cola (not diet)
- • ¾ cup dark brown sugar
- • ¾ cup Heinz chili sauce
- • ¾ cup ketchup
- • ¾ packet dry onion soup mix
- • 4 to 5 new red potatoes, cut up
- • 1½ to 2 cups baby carrots
Combine all ingredients in a slow cooker. Cook on low 8 to 10 hours.
Makes 6 to 8 servings.
It’s the possibility of having a dream come true that makes life interesting. –Paulo Coelho
This is such a tasty, tender pot roast. It’s quick to put together and then just let it cook. You can let it cook in the crockpot for nine hours.
- About 4 lbs chuck roast (My roast was not a full 4 lbs and served 4 people with leftovers for the next day)
- one packet dry onion soup mix
- 1 cup water (I used beef broth)
- one onion chopped
- one stalk celery chopped (I omitted the celery)
- 3 carrots chopped (washed and not peeled) (I used 6 carrots chopped into 1 1/2 inch chunks)
- 3 potatoes peeled and cubed (I had potatoes on the side)
- salt and pepper
Directions: Salt and pepper chuck roast. Brown on all sides in a large skillet over high heat for about 4 minutes per side. Place roast in the slow cooker. Sprinkle the dry soup mix over the top of the roast. Then add the liquid and onions. Cook for about 5 hours on low and then add the carrots and cook for another five hours. I put the roast in at 7 am and it was ready by 5 pm; I didn’t want the carrots to get mushy so that’s why I didn’t add them until half the cooking time was over. They were absolutely perfect.
1 eye of round roast
1 jar salsa
1 pkg refrigerator crescent rolls OR 1 pkg refrigerator pie shells
cheddar cheese, grated
* diced sauteed potatoes, optional
Prepare the beef by searing the roast, seasoned with garlic salt, on all sides. Place the roast in the crock pot with jar of salsa dumped on top. Cook on high for 5-7 hours … until the beef begins to pull apart with ease. Remove beef from pot and allow it to rest on a cutting board for at least 10 minutes before shredding it. Shred beef using 2 forks. Place shredded meat back in crock pot to soak up salsa juices.
Using crescent rolls
Unwrap the crescent rolls and place a good portion of meat on the middle and pile grated cheese on top. Roll pastry until each end touches and seals. Place on greased cookie sheet and bake at 375 for about 12 minutes.
Using pie pastry shells
Unroll pie pastry. Using a large cup or small bowl, cut out circles of dough. Place a pile of meat in each circle and a little cheese on top. Dab the edge of one side of pastry with water. Pull the other side over to meet the damp edge and seal. Place on greased cookie sheet. Bake at 375 for about 12 minutes.