- 9-10 potatoes diced
- 2 bags of baby carrots, sliced in half
- 2 lbs stew meat, brown in oil in skillet
- 2 cans cream of mushroom soup
- 2 cans cream of celery soup
- 2 envelopes Lipton onion soup mix
Put all together in roaster pan. Bake at 225 degrees for six hours. Serves 16. Or halve the recipe and put in your crock pot and cook all day on low. To think the sauce, add beef broth to desired consistency.
I got this delicious recipe from my friend Shauna.
- For the Beef
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound chuck tail or chuck roast, cut into chunks
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1 cup sliced carrot
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- Water or beef stock
- For the Stroganoff
- 1 pound cremini mushrooms, thickly sliced or quartered
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 small shallot, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 1 cup braising liquid
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 8 ounces pappardelle pasta
- ½ cup créme fraiche
- ¼ cup fresh chives, chopped
- To Prepare the Beef
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
- Season the meat with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper. Heat an oven-safe dutch oven to medium high heat with the olive oil and brown the meat in batches if needed but do not crowd the pan. Add the onions, celery, carrots, garlic, bay leaves and thyme to the meat and add enough water or stock to cover. Check after 2 hours and add more water or stock if necessary to keep the meat and vegetables covered.
- When the meat is fork tender, remove it from the oven. Pick the meat from the pot and set aside to cool and strain the liquid from the vegetables, then discard the vegetables. Cool the liquid and skim most of the fat from the top, reserving the braising liquid for later.
- To Prepare the Stroganoff
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Toss the mushrooms with the olive oil and a sprinkling of kosher salt and roast for 15-20 minutes.
- In a large sauté pan over medium heat, melt the butter then add the shallot, garlic, and roasted mushrooms and cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Add the reserved beef, cream and reserved braising liquid and cook until the liquid is reduced and thickened, about 7 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the pasta and cook until al dente. Drain ghe pasta, then add it to the sauté pan and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Serve with a dollop of créme fraiche and fresh chives.
Want to add some protein to your breakfast? This is quick and easy to prepare the night before and put into small tupperware containers to go.
3 cans black beans, drained
1 7-oz can tomato sauce
Chopped onion (I have frozen chopped onion I buy from the grocery store)
1 Tablespoon minced garlic (from a jar)
Pour a dash of oil, enough to cover the bottom of sauce pan. Saute the onions and garlic together. Add the beans and tomato sauce and cook on medium heat until the sauce thickens
This is the recipe I used for the burritos the other night:
- 2 cups Hellman’s Real mayonnaise
- 2 packages dry Hidden Valley ranch dressing mix
- 2 cups sour cream
- 1 bunch chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- juice of 1 lime (I would have used 2 but only had one)
- 6 tomatillos husked and washed
- 2 7-oz cans of Herdez salsa verde
- 2 tbsp sugar
- Place all ingredients in a blender or food processor and process until smooth.
“If you hang out with chickens, you’re going to cluck and if you hang out with eagles, you’re going to fly.” –Steve Maraboli
Roasted Garbanzo Beans
- 2 cups cooked canned garbanzo beans, (drained and rinsed )
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly coat a rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray. Spread garbanzo beans over baking sheet and sprinkle them with the garlic powder and cayenne. Toss to thoroughly coat. Roast on the bottom rack of the oven, shaking pan every 15 minutes until beans are browned and crunchy–about 50 minutes. Cool before serving..
We all loved these fish tacos that Emilie made the other night. Here is the recipe she used:
BLACKENED FISH TACOS WITH AVOCADO-CILANTRO SAUCE
- 1.5 lbs tilapia fillets
- 1 ½ teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 12 corn tortillas
- ½ red cabbage, sliced thin
- ¼ green cabbage, sliced thin
- ½ medium-sized onion, diced
- ½ cup cilantro
- Juice of 1 lime
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 ripe avocado, pitted and skinned
- ¼ cup cilantro, chopped
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 jalapeno, chopped and seeded
- Salt, to taste
- In a small bowl, combine the smoked paprika, garlic powder, dried oregano, onion powder, cumin, salt, brown sugar, and cayenne pepper. Sprinkle the mixture over both sides of your Tilapia fillets, and then rub the seasonings in.
- Combine all of the Avocado-Cilantro Sauce ingredients in a food processor or blender. Pulse until well-combined.
- Combine all of the Slaw ingredients in a large bowl and mix well.
- Heat the oil in a heavy-bottomed pan over medium-high heat. Once heated, add in the Tilapia (a few at a time if you can’t fit them all at once). Cook for 4-5 minutes on each side, or until the outside is blackened and the fish flakes apart easily.
- Remove the fish from the heat, and if desired, warm the corn tortillas in the same skillet over medium heat, cooking for about 30 seconds on each side.
- Break up the tilapia into 2-3″ pieces. Stack the tortillas in twos. Distribute the fish evenly between the 6 sets of tortillas, and top with Slaw and Avocado-Cilantro Sauce. Serve.
Blackening spices are very fragrant, so turn on your overhead fan while you cook the fish.
Recipe and photo source: http://www.bhg.com/recipe/chicken/balsamic-chicken-and-vegetables/
Balsamic Chicken and Vegetables
- In a small bowl, stir together salad dressing, balsamic vinegar, honey, and crushed red pepper. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add chicken; cook for 5 to 6 minutes or until chicken is tender and no longer pink, turning once. Add half of the dressing mixture to skillet; turn chicken to coat. Transfer chicken to a serving platter; cover and keep warm.
- Add asparagus and carrot to skillet. Cook and stir for 3 to 4 minutes or until asparagus is crisp-tender; transfer to serving platter.
- Stir remaining dressing mixture; add to skillet. Cook and stir for 1 minute, scraping up browned bits from bottom of skillet. Drizzle the dressing mixture over chicken and vegetables. Sprinkle with tomato. Makes 4 servings.
Simple Ham and Cheese Quiche
1 pre-made pie shell
1 ½ cups heavy cream
1 cup diced ham
¼ cup diced onion
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
Preheat oven to 375.
Spray saucepan with cooking spray and then sauté onions and ham together for about five minutes.
Pour sauted ham and onions and shredded cheese into pre-made pie shell.
Beat the eggs with heavy cream. When blended, pour it over the ham and onions and cheese mixture.
Bake 35-45 mins until set. Let stand for ten minutes before cutting/serving in wedges. Serve with a tossed green salad and crusty French bread.