For the beans we had with the pork burritos, I just did this:
3 cans black beans, drained
1 7-oz can tomato sauce
Chopped onion (I have frozen chopped onion I buy from the grocery store)
1 Tablespoon minced garlic (from a jar)
I covered a pan with a dash of oil, enough to cover the bottom of the pan lightly and sauted the onions and garlic together. Then I add the beans and tomato sauce and cooked it on medium heat until the sauce thickened.
This is the recipe I used for the burritos the other night:
- 2 cups Hellman’s Real mayonnaise
- 2 packages dry Hidden Valley ranch dressing mix
- 2 cups sour cream
- 1 bunch chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- juice of 1 lime (I would have used 2 but only had one)
- 6 tomatillos husked and washed
- 2 7-oz cans of Herdez salsa verde
- 2 tbsp sugar
- Place all ingredients in a blender or food processor and process until smooth.
We all loved these fish tacos that Emilie made the other night. Here is the recipe she used:
BLACKENED FISH TACOS WITH AVOCADO-CILANTRO SAUCE
- 1.5 lbs tilapia fillets
- 1 ½ teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 12 corn tortillas
- ½ red cabbage, sliced thin
- ¼ green cabbage, sliced thin
- ½ medium-sized onion, diced
- ½ cup cilantro
- Juice of 1 lime
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 ripe avocado, pitted and skinned
- ¼ cup cilantro, chopped
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 jalapeno, chopped and seeded
- Salt, to taste
- In a small bowl, combine the smoked paprika, garlic powder, dried oregano, onion powder, cumin, salt, brown sugar, and cayenne pepper. Sprinkle the mixture over both sides of your Tilapia fillets, and then rub the seasonings in.
- Combine all of the Avocado-Cilantro Sauce ingredients in a food processor or blender. Pulse until well-combined.
- Combine all of the Slaw ingredients in a large bowl and mix well.
- Heat the oil in a heavy-bottomed pan over medium-high heat. Once heated, add in the Tilapia (a few at a time if you can’t fit them all at once). Cook for 4-5 minutes on each side, or until the outside is blackened and the fish flakes apart easily.
- Remove the fish from the heat, and if desired, warm the corn tortillas in the same skillet over medium heat, cooking for about 30 seconds on each side.
- Break up the tilapia into 2-3″ pieces. Stack the tortillas in twos. Distribute the fish evenly between the 6 sets of tortillas, and top with Slaw and Avocado-Cilantro Sauce. Serve.
Blackening spices are very fragrant, so turn on your overhead fan while you cook the fish.
Recipe and photo source: http://www.bhg.com/recipe/chicken/balsamic-chicken-and-vegetables/
Balsamic Chicken and Vegetables
- In a small bowl, stir together salad dressing, balsamic vinegar, honey, and crushed red pepper. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add chicken; cook for 5 to 6 minutes or until chicken is tender and no longer pink, turning once. Add half of the dressing mixture to skillet; turn chicken to coat. Transfer chicken to a serving platter; cover and keep warm.
- Add asparagus and carrot to skillet. Cook and stir for 3 to 4 minutes or until asparagus is crisp-tender; transfer to serving platter.
- Stir remaining dressing mixture; add to skillet. Cook and stir for 1 minute, scraping up browned bits from bottom of skillet. Drizzle the dressing mixture over chicken and vegetables. Sprinkle with tomato. Makes 4 servings.
Simple Ham and Cheese Quiche
1 pre-made pie shell
1 ½ cups heavy cream
1 cup diced ham
¼ cup diced onion
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
Preheat oven to 375.
Spray saucepan with cooking spray and then sauté onions and ham together for about five minutes.
Pour sauted ham and onions and shredded cheese into pre-made pie shell.
Beat the eggs with heavy cream. When blended, pour it over the ham and onions and cheese mixture.
Bake 35-45 mins until set. Let stand for ten minutes before cutting/serving in wedges. Serve with a tossed green salad and crusty French bread.
Recipe source: http://slowcooker.cooktopcove.com/
Here’s a simple recipe to put together for a delicious dinner. You probably have all the ingredients on hand as well.
1 lb. ground beef
¼ tsp. salt
¼ tsp. pepper
¼ tsp. onion powder
1 cup sliced white onion
1 cup sliced celery
2 cups peeled and sliced carrots
2 cups sliced russet potatoes
1 (10.75-oz.) can cream of celery soup (do not add water)
1. In a skillet, cook the ground beef until brown.
2. Mix in salt, pepper, and onion into the meat.
3. Layer the ingredients one by one into your slow cooker –start with the ground beef and end with the cream of celery on top of the potatoes.
4. Let the slow cooker do the rest of the work — Put it on LOW for 5 hours while fully covered.
KIELBASA AND CABBAGE SKILLET
“The submission of one’s will is really the only uniquely personal thing we have to place on God’s altar. The many other things we ‘give’ are actually the things He has already given or loaned to us.” ― Neal A. Maxwell
Photo/recipe credit: http://bellyfull.net/2014/03/11/kielbasa-and-cabbage-skillet/
Kielbasa is a type of sausage and it is one of the most traditional foods served at Polish weddings (according to Wikipedia).
- 2 pounds fully cooked Polska kielbasa, cut in half lengthwise, then cut into 2 inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 head cabbage, coarsely chopped
- 1 large sweet onion, cut into large pieces
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dijon or brown grainy mustard
- Heat olive oil in a large nonstick sauté pan over medium-high and add kielbasa. Cook, without stirring for 1 minute. Then stir occasionally for about 3 minutes. Transfer to a plate with a slotted spoon.
- In the same pan with some of the rendered kielbasa fat, add the cabbage, onion, garlic, sugar, salt, and pepper. Stir to combine and cook for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Mix in the vinegar and mustard; add the sausage back to the pan and cook for another 2 minutes to heat through. Taste and adjust seasoning, if necessary.
- Serve immediately on its own or over mashed potatoes.
“Even if work were not an economic necessity, it is a spiritual necessity.” –Neal A. Maxwell
Recipe source: http://cooktopcove.com/2016/04/15/5-cheese-macaroni-and-cheese-is-absolutely-divine/?src=glp_51185&t=syn
- 16 oz Monterrey Jack, cut into cubes
- 16 oz Colby Cheese, cut into cubes
- 16 oz Velveeta Cheese, cut into cubes
- 2 cups of milk
- 1 stick of unsalted butter, cut up
Cook macaroni; drain.
Spray the inside of your slow cooker with cooking spray. Pour in 1/3 of the drained cooked macaroni. Cover macaroni with a third of the cheese. Top that with a third of the cut up butter. Repeat two more times, then pour milk over the top. Cover and cook on low for two hours. Remove lid and stir the macaroni and cheese. Cover and cook another hour. Remove cover and stir macaroni and cheese. Replace lid and cook on low for another hour.
“Never assume that you can make it alone. You need the help of the Lord. Never hesitate to get on your knees in some private place and speak with Him.” –Gordon B. Hinckley
Old Fashioned Goulash
- 2 lbs ground beef or turkey
- 3 tsp minced garlic
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 (15 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 2 (15 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 1 T Italian seasoning
- 1 T Adobo seasoning
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 T seasoned salt
- 1/2 T black pepper
- 2 cups elbow macaroni, uncooked
- 1 cup shredded Mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
1. In a large pan, saute your ground meat in skillet over medium high heat until HALF cooked, remove from heat. 2. Add garlic, onions, olive oil & saute until meat is fully cooked. 3. Add water and broth, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, Italian seasoning, bay leaves, and seasoned salt, pepper and Adobo seasoning. Mix well. 4. Lower heat and cover allow to cook for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. 5. Add in the uncooked elbow macaroni to the skillet, stir well until everything is combined 6. Cover once again and allow to simmer for about 30 minutes 7. Once cooked, remove the bay leaves 8. Add only the cheddar cheese and mix until combined 9. Add mozzarella cheese just before serving.