This yummy cookie recipe came from my friend Eliza. The frosting is wonderful.
- 1 stick butter, softened (1/2 cup)
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 3 1/4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Cream butter (softened) and sugar together. Add egg, vanilla and sour cream. Only blend until cream. Do NOT over-mix or cookies will be hard.
Add baking soda, flour and salt.
Roll dough 1/4 to 1/2 inch thickness on waxed paper. Coat rolling pin with flour. (I use powdered sugar for sugar cookies). Dough may be sticky.
Cut cookies with cutter or Pam spray lid if you don’t have cutter. Place cookies on greased cookie sheet. Bake for 7 minutes for a soft cookie. Bake 8-9 minutes for a crunchy cookie.
Delicious Sugar Cookie Frosting: (Half this recipe for the cookie recipe above).
- 1 8-oz package softened cream cheese
- 1/2 stick butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
Cream butter, vanilla and cream cheese with a beater. Add powdered sugar slowly. Mix until smooth and creamy. If dry, add 1 teaspoon milk. Add food coloring as desired.
I found this wonderful recipe at melskitchencafe.com.
- 2 lbs of diced uncooked chicken breast
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 TB butter
- 1/4 cup honey
- 3 TB lemon juice
- 2 TB soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp. ground ginger
- Heat oven to 350. In a shallow dish combine the flower and seasonings. Dip each piece of chicken in flour mixture and coat evenly.
- Melt 2 TB butter in a shallow baking dish, large enough to accommodate chicken in a single layer. Arrange chicken in pan and bake uncovered for 30 minutes at 350 degrees.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, melt remaining butter and add honey, lemon juice, soy sauce and ginger.
- After chicken has baked the 30 minutes, turn each piece over and pour sauce mixture evenly over chicken. Bake another 30 to 40 minutes basting frequently.
- Serve over rice. I usually double the sauce ingredients to make more to serve over the rice.
Hardship often prepares an ordinary person for an extraordinary destiny. –C.S. Lewis
Photo and recipe from Allrecipes.com. This recipe serves 16.
- 1 ½ cups crushed pretzels
- 4 ½ tablespoons white sugar
- ¾ cup butter, melted
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese
- 1 (8 ounce) container frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 1 (6 ounce) package strawberry flavored Jell-O
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 (16 ounce) package frozen strawberries
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Mix together the pretzels, 4 1/2 tablespoons sugar and melted butter. Press into the bottom of a 9×13 inch pan. Bake for 10 minutes, or until lightly toasted. Set aside to cool completely.
2. In a medium bowl, beat the sugar and cream cheese until smooth. Fold in whipped topping. Spread evenly over the cooled crust. Refrigerate until set, about 30 minutes.
3. In a medium bowl, stir together the gelatin mix and boiling water. Mix in frozen strawberries, and stir until thawed. Pour over cream cheese mixture in pan. Refrigerate until completely chilled, at least 1 hour.
Ingredients: (Makes 1 (9×13 pan) or 12 servings. )
- 1 box Yellow Cake Mix (reserve 1 cup)
- 1 stick butter or margarine, melted
- 4 eggs
- 1 can (29-ounces) pumpkin
- 1 can (5 ounces) evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- Topping :
- 1 cup Yellow Cake Mix reserved
- 1 stick butter or margarine, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup mixed nuts, chopped
Preheat oven to 350° F. Grease and flour a 9×13-inch baking pan. In a mixing bowl using a spoon, mix the cake mix, butter or margarine, and 1-egg. Pour mixture into pan and level across pan. In another mixing bowl, mix the canned pumpkin, 3 eggs, evaporated milk, brown sugar, sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Pour ingredients into pan and spread over first layer. To make the topping, in a mixing bowl cut butter or margarine into the reserved Yellow Cake Mix, add the sugar and mix nuts. Sprinkle over Second layer. Bake for 50 to 55 minutes. Cool for 30 minutes.
Another super easy summer pie. I remember making this as a newlywed.
- 1 pkg. (8 oz.) cream cheese, softened
- 1 tsp. Crystal Light Lemonade Flavor Drink Mix
- 1/4 cup cold fat-free milk
- 1 tub (8 oz.) Cool Whip Topping, thawed
- 1 ready-to-use reduced-fat graham cracker crumb crust (6 oz.)
Beat cream cheese and drink mix in large bowl with mixer until well blended. Gradually add milk, mixing until well blended. Stir in Cool Whip; spoon into crust. Refrigerate 4 hours or until firm.
3 Tablespoons Honey
3 Tablespoons Soy Sauce
3 Tablespoons Worcestershire Sauce
1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 cup shredded Monterey Jack Cheese
8 slices apple-smoked bacon
8 tablespoons barbecue sauce
1. Mix the honey, soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, garlic and salt together. Marinate your chicken breasts for at least 8 hours.
2. Grill (OR for oven method: preheat oven to 350 degrees. Pour small amount of sauce on bottom of the pan and place chicken on top. Cover with foil and cook for about 30 minutes or until center is no longer pink and juices run clear.
3. While chicken is cooking, fry up the bacon and set aside.
4. When the chicken is done, top each breast with 2 tablespoons of BBQ sauce, two strips of bacon and 1/4 cup of shredded cheese. Broil until cheese melts.
I got this recipe from Grandma Milne. I made and shipped these cookies to your dad when he was a young missionary in England.
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 square margarine
- 1/2 cup cocoa
- a pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3 cups uncooked oatmeal
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup chopped walnuts (I never put walnuts in this recipe)
Boil for at least one minute: sugar, cocoa, milk, butter. Add salt. Pour over oatmeal and nuts. Add vanilla. Drop spoonfuls onto wax paper and let cookies harden.
This is another favorite mashed potato recipe of mine and it’s one you can make a day ahead of time. From The Pioneer Woman Cooks.
5 lbs Russet or Yukon Gold potatoes
1 ½ sticks (3/4 cup) butter
1 8-oz pkg (softened) Philadelphia Cream Cheese
½ to ¾ cup Half & Half (optional)
½ to 1 tsp. Lawry’s seasoning salt
½ to 1 tsp. black pepper
Peel and cut the potatoes into pieces that are generally the same size. Bring a large pot of water to a simmer and add the potatoes. Bring to a boil and cook for 30-35 minutes. When they’re cooked through, the fork should easily slide into the potatoes with no resistance, and the potatoes should almost–but not totally–fall apart.
Drain the potatoes in a large colander. When the potatoes have finished draining, place them back into the dry pot and put the pot on the stove. Mash the potatoes over low heat, allowing all the steam to escape, before adding in all the other ingredients.
Turn off the stove and add 1 1/2 sticks of butter, 1 8-ounce package of cream cheese and about 1/2 Cup of Half & Half. Mash, mash, mash! Next, add about 1/2 tsp. of Lawry’s Seasoning Salt and 1/2 a tsp. of black pepper.
Stir well and place in a medium sized baking dish and to top it off with, you guessed it, butter! Throw a few pats of butter over the top of the potatoes and place them in a 350° oven and heat until butter is melted and potatoes are warmed through. (Note: When making this dish a day or two in advance, take it out of the fridge about 2-3 hours before serving time. Bake in a 350° oven for about 20-30 minutes or until warmed through.)
Recipe from LDS Living Magazine
- 6 uncooked lasagna noodles
- 3 cups cooked chicken, shredded
- 1 cube chicken bouillon, dissolved in ¼ cup hot water
- 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1 (26-ounce) jar spaghetti sauce Italian seasoning, to taste
Preheat oven to 350˚ F. Cook lasagna noodles according to package directions; drain, rinse in cold water, and set aside. In a large bowl, combine shredded chicken, bouillon water, cream cheese, and 1 cup mozzarella. Spread of spaghetti sauce in the bottom of a 9×13-inch baking dish. Cover with ½ of the chicken mixture and top with 3 lasagna noodles. Repeat layers. Top with remaining sauce and mozzarella. Sprinkle on Italian seasoning, to taste. Bake 45 minutes, until cheese is melted and bubbly. Makes 6 to 8 servings.