I love this recipe.
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1/2 cup minced onion
- 1/4 chopped green pepper
- 1 garlic clove, pressed or minced
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef
- 2 teaspoons chili powder or 1 to 2 tablespoons chili seasoning mix
- 1/2 cup tomato juice
- 1 8-oz. can kidney beans
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup uncooked long-grain rice
- 1/2 cup frozen whole kernel corn
- 1/4 cup cup chopped or sliced black olives, if desired
- 1/2 cup shredded Cheddar, longhorn or Monterey Jack cheese, lightly packed
Heat oil in a 10-inch skillet over medium heat. Briefly saute onion, green pepper and garlic. Push to side of skillet. Add ground beef, breaking into chunks. Saute until no longer pink. Stir in chili powder or chili seasoning mix and cook 30 seconds. Add tomato juice, undrained kidney beans, oregano, salt and rice. Stir and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer 25 minutes. Stir in corn and olives if desired. Cover and cook 5 more minutes. Sprinkle cheese over top and cover just long enough to melt cheese. Makes 2 servings.