I got this delicious recipe from my friend Shauna.
- For the Beef
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound chuck tail or chuck roast, cut into chunks
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1 cup sliced carrot
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- Water or beef stock
- For the Stroganoff
- 1 pound cremini mushrooms, thickly sliced or quartered
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 small shallot, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 1 cup braising liquid
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 8 ounces pappardelle pasta
- ½ cup créme fraiche
- ¼ cup fresh chives, chopped
- To Prepare the Beef
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
- Season the meat with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper. Heat an oven-safe dutch oven to medium high heat with the olive oil and brown the meat in batches if needed but do not crowd the pan. Add the onions, celery, carrots, garlic, bay leaves and thyme to the meat and add enough water or stock to cover. Check after 2 hours and add more water or stock if necessary to keep the meat and vegetables covered.
- When the meat is fork tender, remove it from the oven. Pick the meat from the pot and set aside to cool and strain the liquid from the vegetables, then discard the vegetables. Cool the liquid and skim most of the fat from the top, reserving the braising liquid for later.
- To Prepare the Stroganoff
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Toss the mushrooms with the olive oil and a sprinkling of kosher salt and roast for 15-20 minutes.
- In a large sauté pan over medium heat, melt the butter then add the shallot, garlic, and roasted mushrooms and cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Add the reserved beef, cream and reserved braising liquid and cook until the liquid is reduced and thickened, about 7 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the pasta and cook until al dente. Drain ghe pasta, then add it to the sauté pan and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Serve with a dollop of créme fraiche and fresh chives.