The One Pasta Recipe You Need to Know
I’ve always wanted a delicious, simple sauce recipe for pasta. Here it is:
Friends, meet cacio e pepe
- 12 ounces spaghetti
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- ⅔ cup grated Pecorino Romano cheese
- Salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper (lots of it), to taste
1. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the spaghetti and cook until al dente, 8 to 10 minutes.
2. While the pasta cooks, mash the soft butter with the olive oil and pecorino cheese in a large bowl to form a paste.
3. When the pasta is tender, drain it, reserving ½ cup of the pasta cooking water. Add the spaghetti directly to the bowl with the butter mixture. Toss well to coat, adding the pasta water as needed to make a thick, creamy sauce that coats the pasta strands. Season with salt and lots of freshly ground black pepper.
4. Divide the pasta among four plates; serve immediately.