Good manners: The noise you don’t make when you’re eating soup. –Bennett Cerf
Lemon Chicken Quinoa Soup
Source cite, click here. Serves 6-8
- 2 cups cooked chicken, cubed or shredded
- 2 cups carrot, chopped
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 6 cups low-sodium chicken stock
- 1 cup milk
- ½ cup flour or cornstarch
- ½ cup quinoa, uncooked
- ¼ cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons of lemon zest
- Thin lemon slices for garnish
- 1 teaspoon tarragon
- 1 teaspoon chives
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
Heat olive oil in large stockpot over medium high heat. Add carrots, celery and onion and saute vegetables until tender.
Add the garlic and red pepper flakes and cook for 1 minute. Then pour in the chicken stock. Add bay leaves and tarragon and season with salt and pepper.
In a separate bowl, whisk together cornstarch (or flour) and milk until it’s smooth; pour it into the soup pot.
Bring mixture to a boil and pour in the quinoa, then reduce the heat to medium-low and cook for 20 minutes or until the quinoa is tender.
Stir in chicken, lemon juice and the zest. Add chives and cook for another 5 to 10 minutes. Remove bay leaves and serve hot. Top with lemon slices.