- 8 ounces (190 grams) uncooked whole-grain penne pasta
- 8 cups (6 ounces or 240 grams) fresh baby spinach
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups (365 grams) low-fat (2%) milk
- 4 ounces (120 grams) low-fat cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup (1 ounce or 28 grams) grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 cups (280 grams) shredded or chopped cooked chicken breast
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
Cook pasta in boiling water in a large soup pot for 8 minutes or until tender; remove from heat. Add spinach and let stand 15 to 30 seconds, stirring occasionally, until spinach is wilted. Drain and set aside.
Melt butter in same pot over medium heat. Add garlic; sauté 1 minute. Add flour and cook 1 minute (mixture will be crumbly). Whisk in milk. Cook, whisking constantly, for 2 minutes. Add cream cheese, salt and pepper; stir until smooth. Stir in chicken; cook 1 minute or until heated through. Combine pasta mixture and sauce in a large bowl. Serve immediately.
Serves: 4 | Serving Size: 2 cups (370 grams each)
Per serving: Calories: 333; Total Fat: 13g; Saturated Fat: 8g; Monounsaturated Fat: 2g; Cholesterol: 82mg; Sodium: 465mg; Carbohydrate: 23g; Dietary Fiber: 4g; Sugar: 8g; Protein: 29g
Nutrition Bonus: Potassium: 535mg; Iron: 13%; Vitamin A: 99%; Vitamin C: 22%; Calcium: 28%