This is my favorite version of the many funeral potato recipes there are. The ingredient ratio just seems perfect:
- 1 28-oz. bag shredded hash brown potatoes, thawed
- 2 c. sour cream
- 1 10-oz. can cream of chicken (or cream of mushroom) soup
- 2 1/4 c. shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 3/4 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- OPTIONAL: Crushed cornflakes, seasoned bread crumbs
Preheat oven to 350. Combine thawed hash browns, sour cream, cream of chicken soup, cheese, salt, and pepper and mix well. Add additional salt and pepper if necessary.
Spread the mixture into a 9×13″ (or similar) dish and bake for 50-60 minutes or until the casserole is hot in the center and the cheese is bubbly throughout. Serve with a salad and fruit or alongside roasted ham, turkey, chicken, or beef.