Thank you to my friend Julie, who shared the recipe with me. Original site, click here.
“I had a dream about you. You looked so beautiful that I felt compelled to say something. So I said, “The fish taco wasn’t nearly as stinky as I imagined it’d be.” You looked at me with your gorgeous eyes and said, “Life isn’t all roses to the noseless, and those with eyes need to listen closely.” I nodded my head in agreement, even though I didn’t have a clue what you meant. But that’s what love does, right? It makes men clueless.” –Jarod Kintz.
- 1 lb. – Medium (41-60 count) Shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 TB – Cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 tsp – Chile powder (preferably Ancho)
- Zest from one Lime
- 8 – Fresh corn tortillas
Some Suggested Toppings
- Cole slaw mix
- Fresh cilantro
- Fresh chopped tomatoes
- Avocado -or- Crema Avocado
- Mango Salsa
- Queso fresco
On the Grill
- It’s easiest to use a grill pan with this method. If you don’t have one, soak 8-10 bamboo skewers in water for 30 minutes.
- Toss shrimp in chile powder, cilantro and lime zest. Skewer 5-6 shrimp per bamboo stick, if using.
- Preheat grill to high. (If using a grill pan, preheat it too.)
- Cook shrimp until pink — about 2-3 minutes in grill pan or 4-5 minutes skewered.
- Serve immediately on warmed (lightly grilled) corn tortillas.
The Poaching Method
- In a small stockpot or Dutch oven, season about 3 quarts of water with quartered lemon, lime or orange; a quartered onion and a TB of black peppercorns (or you can forgo the added ingredients and just use 3 TB salt).
- Bring to a rolling boil.
- Add shrimp; turn off heat and cover tightly for 5 minutes.
- Drain; Rinse with cold water (to stop the cooking process).
- Toss shrimp in chile powder, cilantro and lime zest.
- Serve immediately on warm (lightly grilled or griddled) corn tortillas.
- 1 – Small to medium avocado
- 1 cup – Crema Mexicana -or- substitute ⅔ cup heavy cream w/ ⅓ cup sour cream and 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp – Lime juice
- 1 tsp – Salt
- 1 TB – Cilantro (optional)
- In a blender or food processor, combine all ingredients until smooth. Cover and refrigerate.