I’d like to make these in my crockpot over Christmas.
SLOW COOKER CINNAMON ROLLS
Recipe source: 12 Tomatoes (on Facebook)
Dough: (or 1 batch 30-Minute Dough, optional)
- 3 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups warm water, divided
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 3 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 (3 oz.) package cream cheese, room temperature
- 2-3 tablespoons milk or heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons butter, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a small glass, pour yeast into 1/2 cup warm water and stir together. Let sit 5-10 minutes, or until mixture is frothy.
- Combine 2 1/2 cups flour, yeast mixture and remaining warm water, maple syrup and salt in a large bowl or mixer.
- Mix until a shaggy dough comes together, gradually adding more flour until dough is smooth.
- Let dough rest 10 minutes, then turn out onto a lightly floured surface.
- For the filling: whisk together brown sugar, sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg in a small bowl and set aside.
- Roll dough out to a large rectangle of 1/8-inch thickness and trim off uneven edges.
- Brush melted butter over the dough, leaving a 1/4-inch border around the edges, then sprinkle cinnamon sugar mixture evenly over the butter.
- Take the long side of the dough and tightly roll it away from yourself to create a long log.
- Pinch the seam firmly so the edges stay together, then cut off a small piece from both sides so the edges are even.
- Cut roll into 8-10 equal pieces, line your slow cooker with aluminum foil, and place cinnamon buns swirl side up in the foil.
- Layer up two layers of paper towels and place them over the slow cooker. Put the lid on and turn slow cooker on HIGH. Cook for 1 1/2-2 hours.Note: begin checking rolls at 90 minutes to see if they’re still doughy or not.
- For the frosting: in a large bowl or mixer, cream together cream cheese, butter and vanilla extract until creamy.
- Alternate between adding powdered sugar and heavy cream until desired sweetness and consistency is reached.
- Extract aluminum foil from slow cooker and transfer cinnamon rolls to serving platter. Drizzle frosting over the top and enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Creme de la Crumb