- 1/2 medium-sized onion, diced
- 2-3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1/2 lb pork sausage
- 2 jars of your favorite marinara sauce (approximately 28 oz. each
- 1 can (15 oz) crushed Italian tomatoes
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 cups shredded Italian mix cheese (Romano, Parmesan, Asiago, etc. My Smith’s grocery store carries this in the specialty section)
- 2 packages (10 oz.) fresh cheese ravioli, cooked al dente
- grated Parmesan cheese, optional for serving
1) Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray a 9×13 pan with cooking spray.
2) In large skillet over medium heat saute onions until soft. Add garlic and stir for 1 minute being careful not to let it burn. Add beef and sausage to onions and garlic and cook over medium-high heat until browned and no longer pink. Drain grease, then stir in sauce and crushed tomatoes.
3) Spread thin layer of meat sauce into bottom of baking dish. Arrange a layer of cooked ravioli over the sauce. Sprinkle mozzarella cheese and Italian cheese over the ravioli. Repeat layers, ending with the last of the sauce on top.
(If you planning on freezing this, do it at this point.)
4) Cover with aluminum foil. Bake for 45 minutes until hot throughout. Take foil off and bake about 15 minutes more or until bubbly at edges.
5) Let rest for about 10 minutes before slicing. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese before serving.
Prepare the casserole through Step 4, but do not bake. Wrap the unbaked casserole tightly before putting in the freezer.
When ready to cook, thaw in the fridge (may take up to 48 hours) or thaw in the microwave on defrost setting. Bake according to instructions.
If cooking this directly from a frozen state, increase baking time by 1 to 1 ½ hours (total baking time of about 2-2 ½ hours).