I made this salad for our family Christmas Eve dinner and it was so yummy. I got this recipe from my sweet friend, Jean. It’s a very good recipe with a fun surprise of a sugary pretzel bottom.
Ingredients and Method:
You’ll need a 13x9x2 pan, preferably glass, but a metal one will do.
First, mix together the following:
- 2 cups broken pretzels
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup butter melted
- Spread this mixture out in the pan and then bake for 10 minutes in a 350 degree Farenheit oven. Keep an eye out and don’t overbake! Allow the mixture to cool to room temperature.
- Next, mix these ingredients:
- 1 8-oz. brick cream cheese – at room temperature
- 1 12-oz. container of Cool Whip – at room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
Beat the cream cheese until it is nice and fluffy (electric mixer suggested, medium speed), and then add the sugar. Once mixed thoroughly, fold in the Cool Whip. Spread this mixture on top of the cooled pretzel mixture, covering it completely.
Finally, prepare the topping mixture:
- 1 large box of raspberry Jell-O or similar gelatin dessert
- 1 1/2 cups hot water
- 2 large bags of frozen raspberries
Use frozen raspberries–you don’t want to thaw them. Boil the water, dissolve the jello then added the frozen raspberries. Stir the berries around until the raspberries are well distributed and somewhat thawed. Refrigerate until thickened, about a minute. When it is thick, pour it over the salad and let it set for two or three hours.