“The fault . . . is not in our stars, but in ourselves” (William Shakespeare, Julius Caesar)
- 1 package frozen potatoes (diced, shredded or tater tots)
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups cream
- 1 package ranch dressing mix
- 2 cups cheddar cheese (shredded and divided in 2)
- 1 pounds bacon (cooked and crumbled)
- ½ cups green onion (chopped)
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- Pre-heat the oven to 375 F.
2. In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter and add the flour.
3. Cook stirring continuously for 4 minutes or until light tan in color.
4. Add the ranch package and cream, bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer, this will thicken the sauce.
5. Place the potatoes into a large mixing bowl; pour the sauce over the potatoes.
6. Add the bacon crumbles and 1 cup of the cheddar cheese.
7. Mix everything together until the potatoes are covered with the sauce.
8. Place the mix into a lightly oiled casserole dish, cover with foil and cook for 35 to 40 minutes or until the sauce is boiling.
9. Remove the foil and top with the remaining cheese, place back into the oven to melt and caramelize cheese.
10. Allow the casserole to rest uncovered before serving for 8 to 10 minutes.