There are no shortcuts to anyplace worth going. –Beverly Sills
This recipe is so easy and it makes a beautiful looking dessert and tastes wonderful. Win, win.
2 and 1/2 c graham cracker crumbs
2 Tbsp granulated sugar
3/4 c melted butter
2 8oz. packages cream cheese, softened
1 8oz. tub whipped topping (Cool Whip)
1 c powdered sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 21-oz. can cherry pie filling (Use a quality pie filling like Comstock)
Instructions for the crust:
- Line a 13″ x 9″ pan with aluminum foil.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together cracker crumbs, sugar and melted butter.
- Press into the bottom of the pan.
- To pre-bake the crust (it makes it sturdier): bake for 10 minutes at 375 degree F. Cool completely before adding the filling layer.
Instructions for the filling:
- In a large mixing bowl, mix cream cheese with an electric mixer until smooth.
- Add vanilla and powdered sugar and mix well, about 2 minutes.
- Add whipped topping in two additions, mix just until combined.
- Do not over-mix.
- Spread the filling over the crust.
- Refrigerate until set, at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Cut the dessert into squares. Top with filling just before serving.
- Refrigerate leftovers.
The total time includes the chilling time. Pre-baking the crust is optional but recommended.
You can vary this recipe with different crust (like Oreo) and different topping (like Blueberry, etc.)