Everyone needs a good Snickerdoodle recipe, right? Well, here’s a good one.
Site source: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/10687/mrs-siggs-snickerdoodles/
- ½ cup butter, softened
- ½ cup shortening
- 1 ½ cups white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 ¾ cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- Cream together butter, shortening, 1 1/2 cups sugar, the eggs and the vanilla. Blend in the flour, cream of tartar, soda and salt. Shape dough by rounded spoonfuls into balls.
- Mix the 2 tablespoons sugar and the cinnamon. Roll balls of dough in mixture. Place 2 inches apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake 8 to 10 minutes, or until set but not too hard. Remove immediately from baking sheets.
Tips: If you’re having a problem with flat cookies, there could be two reasons. Check your baking soda and Cream of Tartar to make sure they’re fresh. Baking soda goes flat pretty soon after opening the box. I start a new box almost every month. To test it, just put a tiny bit of the soda in some water. If it doesn’t start fizzing immediately, it’s not any good. Also, if your eggs are too big the dough will spread too much. Most recipes call for large eggs, not extra large. If you are using extra-large, pour off a little of the whites.
1st: Use butter AND eggs that are room temp. Can use all butter w/excellent results. 2nd: Mix dry & wet separately. 3rd: Hand mix or you’ll get a different result. Do not overmix. Lastly, use a medium scoop. For the topping, use 3T. sugar & 3.5 tsp. of cinnamon dumped in ziplock bag. Do not be afraid to over coat.