- 1 large butternut squash, about 3 to 4 pounds
- 1 cup apple juice (OPTIONAL)
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/4 cup brown sugar ( packed) (OPTIONAL)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Quarter the butternut squash lengthwise, cut stem off, and scoop out seeds. Pour the apple juice into the slow cooker (you can cook the squash without any liquid at all and it’s great).
- Combine the butter, brown sugar (it’s good without the sugar) and cinnamon in a cup or small bowl.
- Put two of the squash quarters, cut side up, in the slow cooker. Drizzle with about half of the butter-brown sugar mixture.
- Place the remaining two squash quarters on the first ones and drizzle with remaining butter-brown sugar mixture.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 6 to 8 hours, or until squash is tender.