Life, with its rules, its obligations, and its freedoms, is like a sonnet: You’re given the form, but you have to write the sonnet yourself. – Mrs. Whatsit — Madeleine L’Engle, A Wrinkle in Time.
This recipe is very similar to my ‘Company Casserole’ recipe on here. This is super easy to make and a delicious comfort food dish. Recipe source: http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/sour-cream-noodle-bake/
About 8 servings
- 2 and 1/2 pounds ground beef
- 2 cans 15-ounce size tomato sauce
- Pinch of crushed red pepper flakes – just a little, little bit
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 16 ounces, weight Egg Noodles (I use bow-tie noodles)
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 1/2 cup Small Curd Cottage Cheese
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups grated Sharp Cheddar cheese
- Seasoned salt
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Brown ground chuck in a large skillet. Drain fat, then add tomato sauce, salt and black pepper. Add crushed red pepper for a little kick. Not too much. Stir, then simmer while you prepare the other ingredients
Drain 1 lb egg noodles and then dump drained noodles into a bowl. Add creamy stuff to noodles: First, 2 ½ cups regular cottage cheese. Then add one cup sour cream, salt and pepper and then add green onions. They add a nice flavor. Noodles will melt creamy mixture. I sprinkle seasoned salt over this mixture and stir it in.
Now to assemble: Add a quarter of the noodles. Smooth them out. Ladle ¼ of the sauce over the noodles. Top layer with grated sharp cheddar cheese. Then add another layer of noodles, meat sauce and top with cheese.
You can bake it at this point or freeze it for later.