Luck is a matter of preparation meeting opportunity. –Lucius Annaeus Seneca
- 1 (18.25 ounce) package white cake mix
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup white sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/3 cups water
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 egg whites
- 1/2 package of vanilla pudding mix
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Grease and flour an 11×13 inch cake pan.
- Stir together the white cake mix, flour, sugar, and salt in a large bowl until well mixed. Pour in the water, sour cream, vegetable oil, almond and vanilla extracts, and egg whites, and beat with an electric mix on low until all the ingredients are mixed and moistened but some lumps still remain, 4 minutes.
- Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan, and bake in the preheated oven until the top is a light golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean, about 25 minutes. Allow to cool before frosting.
Special Buttercream Frosting
- 2 cups shortening
- 8 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons clear imitation vanilla extract
- 6 fluid ounces heavy cream
- Cream shortening until fluffy. Add confectioner’s sugar and continue creaming until well blended.
- Add salt, vanilla, and whipping cream blend on low speed until moistened. Add additional whipping cream if necessary (up to 2 ounces). Beat at high speed until frosting is fluffy.