Good humor is one of the best articles of dress one can wear in society. –William Makepeace Thackeray
I got this tried and true recipe as a newlywed.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 (10 ounce) packages chopped frozen broccoli, thawed (I use fresh, steamed broccoli)
- 1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 1 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 12 buttery round crackers, crushed fine (I use crushed croutons)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- I add a half a cup of instant rice and extra soup/milk to absorb the rice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Melt 3 tablespoons butter in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Saute onion until golden.
- In a 2 quart casserole dish, mix together onion, broccoli, soup, cheese, mayonnaise, eggs, garlic salt, pepper, seasoned salt, and lemon juice. Sprinkle crushed crackers over top and dot with remaining 2 tablespoons butter.
- Bake uncovered in preheated oven for 45 minutes, until hot.