Serves 16. Cut in half for 8 servings.
- 2 pounds ground beef (or ground turkey) mixed with a package of taco seasoning (do not add water)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 (2 ounce) can black olives, sliced
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chili peppers (I use two cans)
- 1 (10 ounce) can diced tomatoes with green chile peppers
- 1 (16 ounce) jar taco sauce (I like to use enchilada sauce instead)
- 1 (16 ounce) can refried beans
- 1 (16 ounce) can black beans, drained
- 1 cup of frozen corn kernals
- 12 (8 inch) flour tortillas
- 9 ounces shredded Mexican cheese
- Cilantro for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- In a large skillet over medium heat, saute the ground beef for 5 minutes. Add the onion and garlic, and saute for 5 more minutes. Drain any excess fat, if desired. Mix in the olives, green chile peppers, tomatoes with green chile peppers, taco sauce and black beans. Stir mixture thoroughly, reduce heat to low, and let simmer for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Spread a thin layer of the meat mixture in the bottom of a deep 9×13 inch disposable aluminum pan. Cover with a layer of tortillas/refried beans/meat/cheese/. Repeat until all the tortillas are used, topping off with a layer of meat mixture and cheese.
- Bake for 20 to 30 minutes in the preheated oven, or until cheese is slightly brown and bubbly.
- Serve with sour cream on a bed of shredded iceberg lettuce, topped with cilantro.