“One can always find something lovely to look at or listen to,’ said Anne.” — L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Windy Poplars
Serves 16. Can freeze half in a tin foil pan.
Prep time 30 minutes, ready in an hour.
- 2 pounds ground beef or ground turkey
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 (2 ounce) can black olives, sliced
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chili peppers
- 1 (10 ounce) can diced tomatoes with green chile peppers
- 1 (16 ounce) jar taco sauce
- 2 (16 ounce) cans refried beans
- 12 (8 inch) flour tortillas
- 9 ounces shredded Colby cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- In a large skillet over medium heat, saute the ground beef (or turkey) for 5 minutes.
- Add the onion and garlic, and saute for 5 more minutes. Drain any excess fat.
- Mix in the olives, green chili peppers, tomatoes with green chili peppers, taco sauce and refried beans. (Or you can reserve the beans if you want to layer them separately and just use a spoon to spread them on top of the tortillas before adding the beef mixture.)
- Stir mixture thoroughly, reduce heat to low, and let simmer for 20 – 30 minutes to blend flavors.
- Spread a thin layer of the meat mixture in the bottom of a 4 quart casserole dish. Cover with a layer of 4 8″ flour tortillas — You can double the flour tortillas if you want the pie to have a thicker tortilla layer).
- After the tortilla layers, add more meat mixture, then a layer of cheese. Repeat tortilla, meat, cheese pattern until all the tortillas are used, topping off with a layer of meat mixture and cheese.
- Bake for 20 to 30 minutes in the preheated oven, or until cheese is slightly brown and bubbly. Serve with toppings of your choice: shredded lettuce, sour cream, cilantro, olives, etc.