Tip from Allrecipes: Make the pasta and the egg mixture first. Put it together and refrigerate it overnight. In the meantime dump all your fruits together in a bowl and put them in the fridge as well. The next day, just before serving, dump your fruit in and stir, and then add your cool whip. Keeps everything firm without melting down. I have also always used the colored minature marshmallows, it just gives the salad a more fruity flavor.
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 3/4 cups unsweetened pineapple juice
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3 quarts water
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 (16 ounce) package acini di pepe pasta
- 3 (11 ounce) cans mandarin oranges, drained
- 2 (20 ounce) cans pineapple tidbits, drained
- 1 (20 ounce) can crushed pineapple, drained
- 1 (8 ounce) container frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 1 cup miniature marshmallows
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- In a sauce pan, combine sugar, flour, 1/2 teaspoon salt, pineapple juice and eggs. Stir and cook over medium heat until thickened. Remove from heat; add lemon juice and cool to room temperature.
- Bring water to a boil, add oil, remaining salt and cook pasta until al dente. Rinse under cold water and drain.
- In a large bowl, combine the pasta, egg mixture, mandarin oranges, pineapple and whipped topping. Mix well and refrigerate overnight or until chilled. Before serving add marshmallows and coconut. Toss and serve.