This is a really good Sloppy Joe recipe. I got it from my friend Angie after she brought it in for a work party and everyone gobbled it up.
- 2 lbs. extra lean hamburger
- 1 large onion (optional; I generally chop some up and serve them separately)
- 1 pint (2 cups) tomato juice
- Salt and pepper to taste (I also use a dab of onion salt, garlic pepper and garlic salt!)
- 1 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons mustard
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 6 tablespoons brown sugar
Brown meat and drain off excess fat. Add rest of ingredients and cook for approximately 1 – 1‑1/2 hours. (Time will vary if you are cooking larger quantities.) Have small bowls of grated cheese, sliced pickles, and olives to serve with it.