“I wish, as well as everybody else, to be perfectly happy; but, like everybody else, it must be in my own way.” –Jane Austen, Sense and Sensibility
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 6 green onions, sliced, white parts and tops separated
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 shredded, cooked, whole chicken breast
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup salsa
- 1/2 (12 ounce) package tortilla chips
- 1 (8 ounce) package shredded Cheddar/Monterey Jack cheese blend
- 1/2 large tomato, diced
- Canned corn (if desired)
- Canned black beans, drained and rinsed or
- Refried beans, seasoned with taco mix
- Small can mild chilies (if desired)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
In a 12-inch skillet over medium heat, cook and stir the garlic and white parts of the green onions in canola oil until tender. Mix in shredded chicken, salt and pepper. Toss until well coated with oil. Stir in the salsa. Arrange tortilla chips on a large baking sheet covered with foil and spray with Pam. Sprinkle chips with shredded cheese to keep them from getting soggy, then top with warmed chicken; then drop warmed beans by spoonful all over, then sprinkle with corn and more shredded cheese. Put in broiler to 1-2 minutes. This will lightly toast the chips and keep everything from being soggy. Sprinkle with green onion tops before serving. Dollop with salsa, chopped avocado, tomato or guacamole and sour cream. Serve with a side of limes to squeeze on top and Caesar salad. (Don’t put beans on chips first or they will become soggy).