I got this delicious recipe from Elaine Smith after she served it to us:
- 2 (7 ounce) cans whole green chile peppers (Ortega Brand), drained
- 1 lb Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
- 1 lb Sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1 (5 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce OR La Victoria Green Taco Salsa is good
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Spray a 9×13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
Lay half of the chilies evenly in bottom of baking dish. Sprinkle with half of the Jack and Cheddar cheeses, and continue layering: chiles, cheeses, chiles, cheese. In a bowl, mix together the eggs, milk, and flour, and pour over the top of the chilies.
Bake in the preheated oven for 25 minutes. Remove from oven, pour tomato sauce (or drizzle half of the green taco salsa) evenly over the top, and continue baking another 15 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining Jack and Cheddar cheeses, and serve.