- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
- 1/4 cup minced onion
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2-3 lbs. fresh green beans steamed
- 2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese (or more if desired)
- French’s Dried Onions or 1/2 cup crumbled buttery round crackers
- Coarse ground pepper (to taste)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Stir in flour until smooth, and cook for one minute. Stir in the salt, sugar, onion, and sour cream. Add steamed green beans to the mixture and stir to coat.
Transfer the mixture to a 2 1/2 quart casserole dish. Spread shredded cheese over the top. Sprinkle with French’s Dried Onions or the crumbled buttery round crackers. Bake for 30 minutes in the preheated oven, or until the top is golden and cheese is bubbly.