This is what we had around the one night campfire. We used broken up Hershey bars for the chocolate factor, but chocolate chips would be easier:
- Chocolate chips
- Small marshmallows
- Graham crackers
- Peel a ripe banana and cut a slit down the middle, but don’t cut it all the way through.
- Fill the inside of the banana with as many marshmallows and chocolate chips as you like.
- Roll the banana in a square piece of aluminum foil and set it in the red coals.
- Open the tin foil, crunch up a graham cracker over the top and eat it.
ZUCCHINI AND GROUND BEEF CASSEROLE
6 c. sliced zucchini
1/4 c. chopped onion
1 lb. ground beef
1 tbsp. butter
1 pkg. Stove Top stuffing mix
1 1/2 c. water
1 c. cream of chicken soup
1 c. sour cream
1 c. shredded carrots
Cook zucchini in a small amount of salted water in saucepan for 3 minutes; drain well. Brown onion and ground beef in butter in skillet, stirring until ground beef is crumbly; drain.Prepare stuffing mix according to package directions, using 1 1/2 cups water. Combine soup and sour cream in bowl. Add zucchini, ground beef and carrots. Spoon half the stuffing into greased 9×13 inch baking pan. Layer ground beef mixture and remaining stuffing on top. Bake at 350 for 40-50 minutes or until golden brown.
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.” — Benjamin Franklin, Memoirs of the life & writings of Benjamin Franklin.
- 2 potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1/2 cup chopped carrot
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 cups water
- 2 tsp. chicken bouillon granules
- 1/8 tsp. black pepper
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 pint half and half (or milk)
- 1 small jar Swiss or Old English cheese
Cook vegetables in water, bouillon and pepper until tender. Make a roux (paste) of the butter and flour and add cream to thicken. Stir in cheese. Add this to the cooked vegetables, stirring in, but don’t boil after adding the cheese.
If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under. –Ronald Reagan
- 2 T. butter
- 2 carrots, sliced thin
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 16 oz. can stewed tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup cabbage or zucchini, shredded (or 1/2 cup of each)
- 1 tsp. basil
- 1 tsp. parsley flakes
- 1 tsp. salt
- 16 oz. can kidney beans, drained
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup broken spaghetti (in 2-inch pieces)
In 3 quart casserole combine butter, carrots and onion. Cook in covered casserole on HIGH 5-6 minutes. Add broth, tomatoes, cabbage, basil, parsley and salt. Cook covered at HIGH 7-8 minutes, stir once. Add kidney beans and spaghetti. Cook covered at MEDIUM LOW 9-11 minutes or until vegetables are tender, stir once. Let stand covered 10 minutes or until spaghetti is tender.
- 9-10 potatoes diced
- 2 bags of baby carrots, sliced in half
- 2 lbs stew meat, brown in oil in skillet
- 2 cans cream of mushroom soup
- 2 cans cream of celery soup
- 2 envelopes Lipton onion soup mix
Put all together in roaster pan. Bake at 225 degrees for six hours. Serves 16. Or halve the recipe and put in your crock pot and cook all day on low. To think the sauce, add beef broth to desired consistency.
This recipe is from Sara.
- 16 oz. cream cheese
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 T. vanilla
- 1/4 t. almond flavoring
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 t. vanilla
- 1 T. sugar
- Angel Food cake cut into 1″ squares
- Raspberries or strawberries
Cream together the cream cheese and powdered sugar. Add sour cream, 2 T. vanilla, and almond extract. Mix. In a separate bowl, whip together whipping cream, 1 teaspoon vanilla, and sugar. Combine both mixtures. Fold in angel food cake squares. Beginning with cream on the bottom of the serving dish, alternate 3 layers of angel food cake mixture and raspberries/strawberries. The trifle may be placed in a medium-sized glass, serving bowl or may be made separately in clear plastic cups.
LEMON HERB MEDITERRANEAN CHICKEN SALAD
Thanks to Sara for this incredible salad she made for us tonight. The flavors were amazing. I have never had a better salad. Ever. We had it with a fruit salad and some cheddar biscuits.
Recipe and photo source: https://cafedelites.com/2016/07/05/grilled-lemon-herb-mediterranean-chicken-salad-recipe/
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- juice of 1 lemon (1/4 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice)
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- cracked pepper, to taste
- (1 pound | 500 g) 4 skinless, boneless chicken thigh fillets (or chicken breasts)
- 4 cups Romaine lettuce leaves, washed and dried
- 1 large cucumber, diced
- 2 Roma tomatoes, diced
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 1 avocado, sliced
- ⅓ cup pitted Kalamata olives (or black olives), sliced (optional)
- Lemon wedges, to serve
- Whisk together all of the marinade/dressing ingredients in a large jug. Pour out half of the marinade into a large, shallow dish. Refrigerate the remaining marinade to use as the dressing later.
- Add the chicken to the marinade in the bowl; marinade chicken for 15-30 minutes (or up to two hours in the refrigerator if time allows). While waiting for the chicken, prepare all of the salad ingredients and mix in a large salad bowl.
- Once chicken is ready, heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a grill pan or a grill plate over medium-high heat. Grill chicken on both sides until browned and completely cooked through.
- Allow chicken to rest for 5 minutes; slice and arrange over salad. Drizzle salad with the remaining UNTOUCHED dressing. Serve with lemon wedges.
Add ½ cup crumbled feta to give the salad an even better flavour.
Old Time Scalloped Potatoes
- prep 20 min cook 42 min / serves 4
- 4 medium-size potatoes (about 1 1⁄3 pounds total), peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 medium-size yellow onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon each salt and black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon celery seeds (optional)
- 1 1⁄2 cups low-fat (1% milkfat) milk
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons minced parsley
- 1⁄2 cup shredded reduced-fat Cheddar cheese (2 ounces)
In a large saucepan, cover the potatoes with water. Bring to a boil over high heat. Lower the heat and simmer, covered, for 12 to 15 minutes or until potatoes are almost tender. Drain.
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine the onion and the 1⁄4 cup water. Bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer, covered, for 5 minutes or until tender. Drain. Stir in the salt, pepper, and celery seeds (if using). In a small bowl, whisk together the milk and flour. Stir into the onion mixture. Cook over moderate heat, stirring constantly, until mixture starts to thicken. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in the parsley.
Place half of the potatoes in a lightly greased 1 1⁄2-quart casserole. Cover with half of the milk mixture. Add the remaining potatoes and remaining milk mixture. Bake for 20 minutes or until heated through. Sprinkle with the Cheddar cheese.
Anti-Inflammatory Juice Recipe
Recipe source: https://draxe.com/recipe/anti-inflammatory-juice/
Total Time: 5 minutes
- 4 Celery Stalks
- 1/2 Cucumber
- 1 cup Pineapple
- 1/2 Green Apple
- 1 cup Spinach
- 1 Lemon
- 1 knob Ginger
- Add all ingredients to vegetable juicer. Gently stir juice and consume immediately.
I got this delicious recipe from my friend Shauna.
- For the Beef
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound chuck tail or chuck roast, cut into chunks
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1 cup sliced carrot
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- Water or beef stock
- For the Stroganoff
- 1 pound cremini mushrooms, thickly sliced or quartered
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 small shallot, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 1 cup braising liquid
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 8 ounces pappardelle pasta
- ½ cup créme fraiche
- ¼ cup fresh chives, chopped
- To Prepare the Beef
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
- Season the meat with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper. Heat an oven-safe dutch oven to medium high heat with the olive oil and brown the meat in batches if needed but do not crowd the pan. Add the onions, celery, carrots, garlic, bay leaves and thyme to the meat and add enough water or stock to cover. Check after 2 hours and add more water or stock if necessary to keep the meat and vegetables covered.
- When the meat is fork tender, remove it from the oven. Pick the meat from the pot and set aside to cool and strain the liquid from the vegetables, then discard the vegetables. Cool the liquid and skim most of the fat from the top, reserving the braising liquid for later.
- To Prepare the Stroganoff
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Toss the mushrooms with the olive oil and a sprinkling of kosher salt and roast for 15-20 minutes.
- In a large sauté pan over medium heat, melt the butter then add the shallot, garlic, and roasted mushrooms and cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Add the reserved beef, cream and reserved braising liquid and cook until the liquid is reduced and thickened, about 7 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the pasta and cook until al dente. Drain ghe pasta, then add it to the sauté pan and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Serve with a dollop of créme fraiche and fresh chives.